If you know anything about European holidays, you will know that Portugal is the destination of choice for many people. Though places such as Lisbon and Faro boast a lot of visitors, there is no denying that the Algarve is one of Portugal’s top tourist destinations. In this blog, we take a look at why the Algarve continues to claim the top spot.
Understanding The Algarve’s Popularity
There are a number of reasons for the Algarve’s popularity, some of which are obvious and others that are commonly overlooked. For example, the Algarve is lucky enough to have gorgeous sunshine and warm weather throughout the summer months. This is a nice change for anyone who lives in areas with unreliable weather, or those who are regularly facing downpours and cold spells. However, there is more to the Algarve than the weather. The food, beaches, variety of accommodation, ease of access and historical sights also do a lot to draw in thousands of holidaymakers each and every year. When you look at the big picture, it’s easy to see why the Algarve continues to be the ‘go to’ holiday destination in Portugal for many people.
Reason Why Holidaymakers Love The Algarve
If you have been to the Algarve before, you are sure to have your own reasons why you enjoyed your time there. Perhaps you found a beautiful beach and enjoyed surfing, maybe you ventured off on a hike and saw breathtaking views. Whatever it is, you are certainly not alone in being a fan of the Algarve. Below, you will find some of the top reasons why holidaymakers love the Algarve.
- It’s Close to the Western Coast of Africa – Some of the Algarve’s popularity is due to its close proximity to the western coast of Africa. This proximity means that the Algarve has benefited from a diverse range of cultures and influences, many of which have shaped the region into what we see today. The Algarve has a lot of Arabic, Roman and Portuguese influences, which other parts of Portugal do not have. Though it’s similar to other areas of Portugal, the Algarve definitely has a unique feel.
- It Has Many Beautiful Beaches – The beaches in the Algarve are some of the best in Europe, which is a big selling point for holidaymakers. You can visit the Algarve, knowing that you won’t be short of beaches to visit. There are quiet and relaxing beaches, as well as those that are more lively. You can enjoy sunbathing and reading a book, or you can get stuck into watersports and swimming. This range of beautiful beach options means there is something for everyone. You can head to the Algarve for a week or two and not run out of beaches to explore.
- There’s a Wide Range of Accommodation Options – Tourists can choose from a variety of different places to stay when they visit the Algarve region of Portugal. They can stay at any number of hotels or resorts located near the beach, or they can rent an apartment or villa for a more authentic experience. There are even camping, glamping and B&B options. Whatever it is that you are looking for in terms of accommodation, you will find something that ticks every box in the Algarve. This makes it especially easy for large groups, families and those with specific accommodation preferences. You won’t have to settle for anything other than accommodation that’s perfect for you.
- It’s Family Friendly and Has Lots to Offer Children – Travelling with children of any age can be a struggle, regardless of whether they are toddlers or teenagers. Thankfully, the Algarve is ideal for families and this makes it one of the top destinations for family holidays. Not only are there family friendly accommodation options, but there are a lot of activities and attractions that children of all ages will enjoy. You can visit the Algarve with children, knowing you will easily be able to find day trips and restaurants that cater to you.
- It Has Some of the Best Food in Europe – A lot of people overlook Portuguese food, forgetting that it’s some of the best food in Europe. The Algarve is full of restaurants serving local dishes, Portuguese cuisine and extremely fresh seafood. Whatever you are looking for can be found in the Algarve, whether that’s a five star meal or a quick ‘grab and go’ lunch. The Algarve is a fantastic place to try authentic dishes, as well as international options.
Looking at the points above, there is no shortage of reasons for people enjoying the Algarve. If it’s not the beaches and food that draws you in, it will be the family friendly vibe and cultural diversity. To put it simply, the Algarve has a little bit of everything. This is why you will see an array of people heading to the region, from groups of friends to retired couples, from families with young children to backpackers.
Will The Algarve Always Be Popular?
Though it’s hard to say that the Algarve will always be popular, it doesn’t appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, the popularity of the Algarve continues to grow, with more and more tourists heading there each year. This is largely to do with the fact that visitors recommend the location to a friend, people continue to return themselves and word spreads about just how much the Algarve has to offer.
The fact that flights from the UK and Europe to Faro are relatively quick and affordable also goes a long way towards boosting the Algave’s popularity. It means that travelling to the Algarve is simple and convenient, which cannot be said for some other European destinations. As long as the Algarve continues to boast beautiful beaches and exciting attractions, holidaymakers will continue to flock to the region.