Though there is no denying that the Algarve is a popular tourist destination, there are still a lot of people who don’t know much about the area. Located in the south of Portugal, the Algarve is a coastal region which boasts beautiful beaches and gorgeous landscapes. This is why it has attracted visitors for a number of years, many of which return annually. Whether you are looking for somewhere different to visit on holiday this year or you simply want to know more about one of Portugal’s most popular destinations, keep reading. We have listed six of the key things everyone should know about the Algarve.
Thinking About Visiting The Algarve? Here’s What You Should Know
There is a lot to know about the Algarve, especially if you are interested in the historical and cultural significance of the fishing villages and local towns. However, to keep things simple, we have focused on the six key things you should know. Regardless of whether you are heading there on a solo adventure or with a lively family, these six points will provide you with everything you need to know before you arrive.
- The Algarve Has Lots of Beaches to Choose From – The Algarve coastline has a variety of beaches to choose from, from wild and rugged beaches to those that are more family friendly. Regardless of whether you are looking for a relaxing day topping up your tan or you are keen to try out some water sports, you won’t struggle to find an Algarve beach that ticks every box. The most popular beach in the region is Praia da Luz, which is regularly voted as one of the best beaches in Europe. Praia de Dona Ana, Praia do Camilo, Praia da Marinha, Praia da Falesia and Praia da Rocha are also popular.
- It’s Family Friendly and Ideal for Children – One of the main selling points of the Algarve, is how well it caters to families. There is something to do for children of all ages, from toddlers right through to older teenagers. When they become bored of the beach or the swimming pool, you can head to a zoo or a museum. When they want to try something new, there are water sports to try and cultural sights to see. There are also a wide range of accommodation options, which makes finding somewhere to stay as a large family relatively easy. There are also a lot of family friend places to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You won’t struggle to find food for picky eaters or restaurants that don’t mind a little extra noise.
- The Algarve Has Mild Winters and Hot Summers – There are a lot of reasons to visit the Algarve, but it’s the weather that draws a lot of holidaymakers to the area. It has a temperate climate with mild winters and hot summers, making it ideal for a summer holiday. Between the months of May and September, the Algarve boasts a lot of sunshine and minimal rainfall. The Algarve has over 300 days of sunshine per year and it is also one of the driest regions in Portugal. It’s a destination you can head to, knowing that good weather is highly likely and torrential rain is rare.
- There’s Lots to Do Other Than Relaxing – A lot of people make the mistake of assuming that the Algarve is the ideal place to relax, unwind and chill out. Though this is certainly true and it’s perfect for a relaxing beach holiday, there are a lot of other things to do in the area. If you can tear yourself away from the beach or the pool for long enough, there are a number of activities to enjoy in the Algarve. This includes sailing, golfing, shopping, watersports, hiking, fishing, boating, surfing, horse riding and exploring nature. There are also a tonne of museums, water parks, cinemas and excursions. People return to the Algarve year after year, never getting bored of what’s on offer or running out of things to do.
- It’s Great For Food and Drink Fans – The Algarve is home to a lot of fantastic restaurants, including two with two Michelin stars. This means there is no shortage of delicious dining experiences, regardless of your budget and preferences. If you are looking for something simple and casual for children, there are a lot of restaurants that offer just that and many cater well to little ones. There are also restaurants that are a little more formal, which is perfect if you want to treat yourself to something special. Portugal is well known for its cuisine and delicacies, and the Algarve is where you will find some of the freshest seafood. There is something for every budget, from fast food takeaways to five star establishments.
- The Algarve is a Hugely Popular Tourist Destination – The Algarve is a region in the southern part of Portugal, one of the hottest tourist destinations in Europe, which is why it’s such a popular choice for people looking for some summer sunshine. This region offers a wide range of landscapes, from long sandy beaches to green mountains, and caters to different types of travellers. Couples, groups, families and solo travellers can all enjoy something different in the Algarve. Plus, with so many attractions and towns to visit, there is enough to keep you busy for a week or two.
As you can see, there are a lot of things to know about the Algarve. Whether you have visited Portugal before or you are heading there for the first time, you certainly won’t be disappointed by what the Algarve has to offer. From food and drink, to tourist attractions and guaranteed warm weather, it’s easy to see why the Algarve welcomes millions of tourists every year.