If you are familiar with European holidays – perhaps you head abroad every year, or you have done a fair amount of research for your upcoming trip – you will know that Portugal is a popular choice for many individuals. It attracts thousands, if not millions, of tourists each and every year; ranging from families with young children, to couples and groups. Despite the popularity of cities like Lisbon and Faro, the Algarve is undeniably one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations. There are many reasons for this and it’s easy to see why tourists continue to flock to the Algarve year after year.
Here’s Why Holidaymakers Continue to Choose the Algarve
If you have spent any time in the Algarve, you will know how enjoyable a holiday there can be. You are sure to have seen the beautiful beaches, the amazing views of the picturesque landscape and how many attractions there are to enjoy. If you did, you are not alone. The Algarve has a special place in the hearts’ of many holidaymakers, which is why tourists continue to flock to the region. Below, we’ll take a look at why the Algarve is still the best place to visit.
- It Has a Diverse Range of Cultures – Due to being close to the western coast of Africa, the Algarve boasts a range of cultures and influences. This gives it a unique feel and vibe, one that you won’t get in other parts of Europe. There are certainly similarities between the Algarve and other areas of Portugal, but it definitely has a special feel to it. It has Arabic, Portuguese and Roman influences, something that cannot be said for other areas of the country. Visiting the Algarve is unlike visiting anywhere else.
- There’s No Shortage of Places to Stay – There are a lot of places to stay in the Algarve, so finding your ideal accommodation is simple and straightforward. It doesn’t matter if you want to stay at a busy and luxurious resort, or you are leaning towards a private and secluded villa, you will find exactly what you are looking for in the Algarve. A lot of the accommodation in the Algarve is located close to the coast, which is ideal if you are keen to spend a lot of time at the beach and want to be close to the action. However, there are definitely more remote and secluded places available.
- The Beaches are Some of the Best in Europe – It’s common knowledge that Portugal’s best beaches can be found in the Algarve, but it’s actually where you will find a lot of Europe’s best beaches. This is a huge draw for holidaymakers, especially those that are seeking a beach break and those who want to spend a lot of time in the sun. In the Algarve, you will find a wide variety of beaches; some are relaxing and tranquil, others are busy and ideal for families. Regardless of whether you want to sunbathe or surfe, you will find a number of beaches that provide what you’re looking for.
- It’s a Family Friendly Destination – For tourists travelling with children, picking a family friendly destination is vital. This means finding somewhere with swimming pools, safe beaches, kids clubs, simple restaurants and lots of attractions. It might even mean finding somewhere with museums and zoos, for when the weather is less than undeal. The Algarve has all of this, which makes it a popular choice for families with children of any age. There is something for toddlers, children and teenagers. It’s also important to remember that, compared to a lot of places, the Algarve is safe. This means children have the freedom to explore, roam and enjoy themselves as much as possible.
- There’s a Wide Range of Restaurants – Something that a lot of people like to do when they’re on holiday is eat out; this could mean going for breakfast, lunch or dinner. In the Algarve, you will find a whole host of places to eat, ranging from casual diners to five star restaurants. Even if you head to the Algarve for two weeks, you won’t run out of places to try. Portugal is well known for its seafood and the Algarve region boasts some of the freshest seafood in the country. For tourists that head abroad to try a different cuisine, the Algarve is not lacking in any way.
When you think about the many reasons to visit this area of Portugal, it’s easy to see why tourists choose it as their holiday destination of choice. In fact, many tourists return to the Algarve multiple times. Instead of having to choose between a beach holiday and a city break, you can choose the Algarve knowing it has elements of both.
When Do Most Tourists Visit the Algarve?
For the majority of tourists, the ideal time to travel is during the summer. This could be because the weather is better between May and September, or because it lines up with the school holidays. Whatever the reason, the majority of tourists head to the Algarve in the summer months. This is when resorts, restaurants, attractions and beaches are at their busiest. However, as the region is relatively large, the Algarve rarely feels crowded in peak seasons. You can visit the Algarve in the summer, safe in the knowledge that there are enough beaches and restaurants for everyone.
There are also many tourists that visit the Algarve at other times of year, often because it’s cheaper to do so. People that are looking to get away from the cold and rainy winter at home head to the Algarve for a break. Though the weather in the winter is not as hot as during the summer, the Algarve is significantly warmer than many other places in Europe between November and February. It’s unlikely that you will need hats, scarves and gloves.