There is nothing more exciting than counting down the days until you go on holiday. It’s exciting to think about spending time at the beach, eating delicious local dishes and relaxing in the sun. However, before that is possible, you need to conquer the planning stage. It’s easy to dread the planning of a holiday, as there is a lot to think about. You need to choose a destination that works for everyone, find a convenient time to travel and spend within your means. However, with a little bit of planning and our helpful guidance, planning a holiday can be a stress free and enjoyable experience.
For a lot of people, the Algarve ends up being the perfect holiday destination. It’s easy to see why, considering how it’s home to many of Europe’s top beaches and it has something to offer every kind of traveller. There is no need to delay or worry about planning an Algarve holiday, as the entire process can be simple and straightforward.
How to Plan an Algarve Holiday
To help you plan your dream algarve holiday, we have come up with five top tips. If you bare these in mind when you plan your trip, you are sure to find the process simple and straightforward.
- Choose Where to Stay – The Algarve is a region in the south of Portugal, and it boasts a number of places to stay. Though it’s an area you can easily explore, you will need to choose where to base yourself. Portimao, Lagos, Frao, Albufeira and Vilamoura are all popular with tourists. There are also a number of smaller and quieter villages, as well as secluded villas. It’s a good idea to research what each area has to offer, and then choose the place that ticks the most boxes. Think about whether you want somewhere lively with restaurants and nightlife, or whether you want somewhere quieter and more family friendly.
- Plan Ahead of Time – It’s always a good idea to plan your Algarve holiday ahead of time, rather than leaving everything until the last minute. Not only does booking ahead of time give you a greater range of accommodation and flight options, it can also be considerably cheaper. Once you have booked everything, you can start thinking about what you want to do during your trip. By planning ahead of time, you will have enough time to research attractions, areas and day trips. The sooner you plan your holiday, the sooner you can look forward to it.
- Do Your Research – There is a lot to see and do in the Algarve, and booking a holiday can be daunting. You will need to think about when you want to go, where you want to stay and what you want to do. This is why it’s important to do your research. Research allows you to confidently plan your holiday, knowing it’s exactly what you are looking for. You don’t want to arrive in the Algarve, only to realise you have booked an apartment that’s miles away from the beach.
- Set Yourself a Budget – With so many luxurious hotels and resorts in the Algarve, it’s easy to get carried away when you are planning your perfect holiday. To avoid spending too much and breaking the bank, set yourself a budget and stick to it. Have a rough idea of how much you want to spend on flights, accommodation and activities. There’s no point spending your holiday budget during the planning stage, only to later realise you don’t have enough left for spending money and day trips. It’s entirely possible to plan an unforgettable holiday in the Algarve without breaking the bank. There is something for every budget, even if you are looking to keep things as cheap as possible.
- Plan an Itinerary – You only have to spend a minute or two searching ‘things to do in the Algarve’ to find out just how much there is to see in the region. To ensure you don’t miss out on any of the main attractions, it’s a good idea to create a holiday itinerary. Though you should leave room for some flexibility – after all, a rare rainy day could strike at any time and a lot of the local sights are outdoors – it’s a good idea to make a list of the things that you definitely don’t want to miss. This also allows you to plan day trips and book excursions ahead of time, which can work out cheaper. You can always add to the itinerary as you find more things that interest you.
When Should You Start Planning Your Algarve Holiday?
There is no right or wrong time to start planning your trip to the Algarve, but it’s certainly helpful to book as far in advance as possible. This will give you a greater selection of flights and accommodation, and you are less likely to have to compromise. Booking in advance is also a good way to save money, as a lot of travel operators increase their prices as the departure date draws near. Plus, planning in advance gives you enough time to organise the little things such as ensuring your passport is in date and booking transport to the airport.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that booking a last minute trip to the Algarve is out of the question. If you are happy to be flexible with flights and accommodation – for example, if you don’t mind going without your first choice of hotel or villa, and you don’t mind a ‘winging it’ approach – then booking a last minute Algarve holiday is doable. As the region is such a popular tourist destination, there is no shortage of hotels, apartments and villas. Even if you are booking in the summer, you should always be able to find some form of accommodation. Who knows, you might even find a last minute package deal.