Portugal has always been a popular destination for holidaymakers from around the world, but 2023 is set to be a particularly big year for Portuguese vacations. There’s a lot to love about Portugal; there’s excellent weather, beautiful beaches and delicious cuisines. This is why thousands of people head to Portugal each and every year, but 2023 is set to be something special. From new travel initiatives to a range of exciting events and attractions, here’s why Portugal is the place to be in 2023.
Reasons to Visit Portugal in 2023
- The Launch of the European Capital of Culture – One of the most exciting things happening in Portugal in 2023 is the launch of the European Capital of Culture. Every year, the European Union designates one or more cities as the “European Capital of Culture,” highlighting the cultural diversity and richness of the chosen locations. In 2023, the honour goes to Portugal, with two cities sharing the title – Braga and Guimarães. Both cities are located in the northern region of Portugal, and each has its unique cultural offerings. Braga, which has been dubbed the “Rome of Portugal,” is known for its stunning Baroque architecture, including the famous Bom Jesus do Monte sanctuary. Guimarães, on the other hand, is often referred to as the “birthplace of Portugal” and is home to a range of historical attractions, such as the Guimarães Castle and the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança. With both cities hosting a range of cultural events and activities throughout 2023, including music concerts, theatre performances, and art exhibitions, the European Capital of Culture is set to be a huge draw for travellers to Portugal in the coming year.
- The Introduction of the Digital Nomad Visa – In 2021, Portugal became one of the first countries in Europe to introduce a Digital Nomad Visa, which allows remote workers to stay in the country for up to a year. The initiative has proven to be a huge success, with many digital nomads choosing Portugal as their destination of choice. In 2023, the Digital Nomad Visa is set to be expanded, with the Portuguese government planning to introduce a range of new incentives and benefits for digital nomads. These include tax breaks, access to co-working spaces, and other perks designed to make life easier for remote workers. For travellers looking to combine work and play, Portugal is an ideal destination. With its stunning natural scenery, excellent weather, and friendly locals, it’s the perfect place to relax and recharge while staying productive.
- The Opening of New Attractions and Experiences – Portugal is home to a range of world famous attractions, such as the historic city of Lisbon, the beaches of the Algarve, and the wine regions of the Douro Valley. In 2023, visitors to Portugal will have even more attractions to explore, with a range of new experiences set to open throughout the country. One of the most highly anticipated new attractions is the Museum of Art, Architecture, and Technology (MAAT) in Lisbon. The museum, which opened in 2016, has quickly become one of the most popular cultural attractions in the city, and it’s set to expand in 2023 with the addition of new exhibition spaces and interactive displays. Other new attractions set to open in Portugal in 2023 include the Porto Bridge Experience, an immersive attraction that takes visitors on a virtual tour of the famous Dom Luís I Bridge in Porto, and the Oceanário de Lisboa’s new “Deep Sea” exhibit, which showcases some of the ocean’s most mysterious and elusive creatures.
- The Expansion of Sustainable Tourism Initiatives – In recent years, Portugal has been at the forefront of sustainable tourism, with a range of initiatives designed to protect the country’s natural and cultural heritage while promoting responsible tourism. In 2023, these initiatives are set to be expanded further, with a range of new projects and programs aimed at making Portugal an even more sustainable destination. This will appeal to a wide range of people, and shows just how much effort the country is putting into ensuring that its tourism is changing and developing with the times.
- The Continuously Beautiful Beaches – There are a lot of beaches in Portugal, many of which are considered to be some of the best in Europe. This is something that people are really paying attention to in 2023, and it’s encouraging a lot of people to visit the country this year. A lot of these wonderful beaches can be found in the Algarve region of Portugal, where you will find miles and miles of white sand, blue seas and picturesque landscapes. Whether you are looking for a family friendly beach or something a little bit more lively, Portugal is continually proving itself as the place to be for beach lovers.
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons to love Portugal, and 2023 is going to be a busy year for the country. With holidaymakers finally realising just how much the country has to offer, tourists are set to head to regions such as the Algarve, as a way to soak up the sun and enjoy Portuguese tourism. Whether it’s the Digital Nomad Visa that’s drawing you to Portugal or the promise of exciting attractions, you won’t be disappointed by what the area has to offer. This is why so many people head back to Portugal time and time again, knowing that there’s always something to enjoy.