When you are booking a family holiday, it’s important to choose a destination that the entire family will enjoy. This could be somewhere with kids’ clubs and attractions, or somewhere with a tonne of swimming pools and beach access. What you look for in a family holiday will depend on your family; for example, those with young children are likely to want something different to those with teenagers. However, there are some unique holiday destinations that span the masses, and are suitable for families large, small, old and young. The Algarve is one of them.
The Algarve, located in the south of Portugal, is a popular destination for families. With its warm climate, stunning beach, and wide range of activities, the Algarve offers something for everyone. Below, we have listed some of the main reasons as to why the Algarve is so family friendly.
Why is the Algarve Great for Families?
- Safe Beaches – The Algarve is known for its stunning beaches, many of which are awarded the Blue Flag for their cleanliness and safety. The beaches are usually patrolled by lifeguards, which gives parents peace of mind while their children play in the water. In addition, many of the beaches have facilities such as showers, toilets, and beach bars, making it easy for families to spend a whole day at the beach. There doesn’t need to be a lot of stress surrounding a beach day in the Algarve, not when so many of them are ideal for a relaxing day with loved ones.
- Family Oriented Activities – The Algarve has a wide range of family oriented activities, from water parks and theme parks to zoos and aquariums. Some of the most popular attractions include Zoomarine, a marine park with dolphin and sea lion shows, and Aqua Show, a water park with slides and pools. There are also many outdoor activities available, such as horse riding, cycling, and hiking. Many of these activities are suitable for all ages, so families can enjoy them together. You won’t struggle to find things to see and do as a family, regardless of what your kids are into.
- Welcoming Culture – Portuguese people are known for their hospitality and friendliness, and this is particularly true in the Algarve. The locals are welcoming and accommodating to families, which can make travelling with children much easier. In addition, many restaurants in the Algarve offer children’s menus and high chairs, making it easy to dine out as a family. You can really make the most of your time in the Algarve, knowing that your kids will be catered to.
- Accommodations – The Algarve has a wide range of accommodations, from hotels and resorts to self catering apartments and villas. Many of these accommodations are family friendly, with amenities such as swimming pools, playgrounds, and kids’ clubs. Self catering accommodations can be particularly useful for families, as they provide more space and flexibility than hotels. They also allow families to prepare their own meals, which can be more cost-effective than eating out.
- Mild Climate – The Algarve has a mild climate, with mild winters and hot summers. This makes it an ideal destination for families who want to escape the cold and enjoy some sunshine. The mild climate also means that families can enjoy outdoor activities throughout the year, such as hiking, cycling, and beach activities. You won’t find yourself having to hide away inside from the baking heat, nor will you find it too cold to enjoy being out and about.
- Short Flights – The Algarve is easily accessible from many European cities, with short flights of around two to three hours. This makes it a convenient destination for families who want to avoid long flights with young children. In addition, many airlines offer family friendly services, such as early boarding and special meals for children. Travelling long distances with kids can be stressful, but a short flight makes everything a lot easier.
- Affordable – The Algarve is a relatively affordable destination, particularly compared to other popular European destinations. Accommodations, food, and activities are generally cheaper than in other parts of Europe, which makes it an attractive option for families on a budget. In addition, many attractions and activities offer discounts for children, which can help to reduce the cost of a family vacation.
- English Speaking – English is widely spoken in the Algarve, which can be helpful for families who don’t speak Portuguese. Many locals, particularly those who work in the tourism industry, speak English fluently, which can make communication much easier. In addition, many signs and menus are in English, which can make it easier for families to navigate and order food. You don’t need to worry about being unsure and uncertain in a foreign country, as there will always be someone to help you with translations.
As you can see, the Algarve is a fantastic destination for families. With its safe beaches, family oriented activities, welcoming culture, accommodations, mild climate, short flights, affordability, and English speaking locals, the Algarve has everything families need for a memorable vacation. This is why it’s a destination worth considering, regardless of how young or old your children are.
You can book a holiday in the Algarve, knowing that your entire family will enjoy their time there. Whether you’re heading off on a summer beach break or you’re more interested in sampling the culture and cuisine, the Algarve does not disappoint. In fact, we know that you’ll want to head back for more.