The Algarve region is located in the southern part of Portugal, and it has a warm climate with plenty of sunshine. Though the summer months are obviously the warmest, a lot of people choose to visit the area in the winter. This is because the Algarve has many historical sites – such as castles and palaces that date back hundreds of years – as well as beautiful beaches, which is a combination that appeals to everyone. Regardless of what you are looking for, you are sure to find something that ticks every box in the Algarve. This is why the Algarve welcomes tourists throughout the year, and not just in the summer months. In fact, many people choose the Algarve as the place they would like to celebrate Christmas. By heading to the Algarve in December, holidaymakers can enjoy a holiday abroad whilst enjoying the most festive time of year.
Why Do So Many People Choose To Spend Christmas Abroad?
The Algarve is a popular tourist destination for those looking to escape the cold winter months, and there are many reasons for this. Not only is the Algarve one of the top holiday destinations for holidaymakers in the cummer, it’s a popular choice for those who are looking to celebrate Christmas somewhere different.
- Experience a Different Type of Christmas – When you spend Christmas at home, there are similarities between the years. What you do one Christmas is likely to be very similar to the Christmas before and the Christmas after. When you enjoy a Christmas holiday to the Algarve, this is not the case. It’s a good opportunity to experience a different type of Christmas, something completely different to the Christmas you have at home.
- See How Another Country Celebrates Christmas – Though a lot of countries celebrate Christmas, they all do so slightly differently. By heading to the Algarve, you can see how another country celebrates Christmas. Not only does it give you a look into another culture, but it might provide you with traditions to take home with you.
- Enjoy Warmer Weather – Portugal enjoys gorgeous weather throughout the year. Though it’s not as warm as the summer months around Christmas time, December still sees temperatures that are higher than elsewhere in Europe. For example, the average temperature in the Algarve in December is 14 degrees celsius. This is a lot warmer than London, where temperatures range between five and nine degrees celsius on average.
- Avoid the Stress of Christmas at Home – There is no denying that organising Christmas at home can be stressful. There’s food, presents, family, friends and decorations to think about. By heading abroad, you can avoid a lot of this stress and hassle. Instead, all you need to do is plan a holiday and enjoy being away from the craziness.
- It’s a Cheaper Time to Visit – The cost of your trip to the Algarve will depend on when you visit, as certain times of the year are cheaper than others. The most expensive time to go to the Algarve is in the summer, as this is when the majority of holidaymakers travel. Therefore, enjoying a Christmas holiday to the Algarve can actually work out cheaper than going at any other time of the year.
- Explore a New Place – If you haven’t visited the Algarve before, spending Christmas in the area gives you the opportunity to explore somewhere new. There are lots of restaurants, hotels, resorts and tourist attractions to enjoy. The Algarve region also has an abundance of natural beauty, from beautiful beaches to large forests. There are also many waterfalls and rivers that run through the region, as well as natural parks and impressive views. These are all things that you wouldn’t usually have around Christmas time, so it’s a unique and one of a kind experience.
As you can see from the points above, there are a lot of benefits that come with celebrating Christmas abroad. Not only does it provide you with a whole host of new opportunities – for example, how often do you spend Christmas close to a beautiful beach or a marina? Similarly, how often do you spend the week before Christmas enjoying local attractions? – but it is a break from the norm. Instead of spending Christmas in the same place you always have, celebrating in the same way you always celebrate, you can try something new. When you think of the benefits, it’s easy to see why so many people choose to go abroad for Christmas.
Who Would Enjoy a Christmas Holiday in the Algarve?
There are a lot of people who would enjoy a Christmas holiday in the Algarve, which is why it’s such a popular holiday destination during the festive period. You will commonly find families, friends and couples all heading to this area of Portugal for Christmas. This is because it’s easy to get to, has a lot to offer and it doesn’t break the bank.
A Christmas holiday in the Algarve is perfect for anyone who wants to experience something different. If you want to swap a Christmas at home for slightly warmer weather and relaxing strolls along the beach, a holiday to the Algarve could be for you. If you want to swap a standard Christmas dinner for delicious dishes and local cuisine, celebrating abroad is something you are likely to enjoy. There really are endless reasons to choose the Algarve as your Christmas holiday destination.
Though there are some downsides to going abroad for Christmas, these are far outweighed by the benefits. You might need to reduce the number of presents you are taking and explain to children how Father Christmas will know where they are, but this is a small price to pay for a relaxing Christmas somewhere new.