There are a lot of things to think about when you are planning a holiday, especially if you are someone who wants to be prepared for every eventuality. This is the case regardless of where you go, including Portugal. Portugal is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, historic cities and delicious food. There are endless stretches of coastline, lots of sunshine and attractions as far as the eye can see. Many travellers wonder if they need holiday insurance when visiting Portugal, and this is a good question to have. In this blog, we will explore the reasons why you may need holiday insurance when visiting Portugal and what to look for when purchasing a policy.
Why You May Need Holiday Insurance for a Trip to Portugal
Holiday insurance is there to cover you if something were to go wrong on holiday, such as lost luggage or a personal injury. As the cost of something going wrong can be huge, and even small costs quickly add up, holiday insurance is well worth considering. There are several reasons why you may need holiday insurance when visiting Portugal, some of which we have listed below.
- Medical Emergencies – While Portugal has a public healthcare system, it’s always a good idea to have private medical insurance when travelling. If you need medical treatment while in Portugal, private medical insurance can cover the costs of hospitalisation, doctor visits, and prescription medication. You can relax, knowing that the financial side of an injury is taken care of.
- Travel Disruptions – Flight cancellations, lost luggage and other travel disruptions can happen at any time. With holiday insurance, you can be covered for these unexpected events and avoid costly expenses. Even a slight delay can be expensive, but travel insurance is there to ensure that you don’t end up out of pocket.
- Accidents and Injuries – If you’re involved in an accident or suffer an injury while in Portugal, holiday insurance can cover the costs of medical treatment, transportation, and other related expenses. Though it’s unlikely that you will have an accident or injury, you can never rule something happening out completely.
Things to Look for in a Holiday Insurance Policy
When purchasing holiday insurance for your trip to Portugal, there are a few things you should look for in a policy. It’s not simply a case of choosing the first policy that you find, as this might not provide the type of cover that you need. Instead, take the time to carefully consider all of your options.
- Coverage Limits – Make sure the policy covers the amount you need for medical expenses, travel disruptions, and other related expenses. Though a lot of travel insurance policies have a high coverage limit, some do not.
- Pre-Existing Medical Conditions – If you have pre-existing medical conditions, make sure the policy covers these conditions, as some policies may exclude coverage for certain conditions. You don’t want to get all the way to Portugal, to then realise that you’re not covered when you desperately need to be.
- Cancellation Coverage – Look for a policy that offers cancellation coverage, which can protect you if you need to cancel your trip due to unexpected events, such as illness or a death in the family. You don’t want to be out of pocket if your holiday is cancelled, regardless of who’s fault the cancellation is.
- Sports and Activities Coverage – If you plan to participate in sports or other activities while in Portugal, make sure the policy covers these activities, as some policies may exclude coverage for certain activities.
There are a lot of different travel insurance options, such as policies that will cover you for one trip, and those that will cover you on an annual basis. The best type of policy for you will depend on how much you travel. If you travel a lot, an annual policy might work out to be most cost effective. It’s also important to consider buying insurance as a couple or as a family, as many providers offer discounts for insuring multiple people. Not only does it usually work out cheaper to insure travellers together, but it’s often a lot more convenient. Instead of keeping on top of multiple travel insurance documents, you only have one.
Where to Buy Travel Insurance From?
There are a lot of travel insurance providers out there, many of which can be found online. A quick search on a comparison website will bring up a range of options, and you can compare what each one offers, as well as the price. You might also have the option to buy travel insurance through your bank account, as many banks offer insurance as part of your banking features. This is usually an additional cost, but it can be a cheaper and more convenient way of doing things.
Is Travel Insurance Mandatory for Portugal?
While holiday insurance is not required to visit Portugal, it’s always a good idea to have coverage in case of unexpected events, such as medical emergencies or travel disruptions. When purchasing a policy, make sure to look for coverage limits, pre-existing medical conditions coverage, cancellation coverage, and sports and activities coverage. With holiday insurance, you can have peace of mind and enjoy your trip to Portugal without worrying about unexpected expenses. Though lost luggage or a personal injury can be annoying, having travel insurance helps to soften the blow.